Tuesday 25 October 2016

Sound Practical

When making a film or trailer sound is an aspect that majorly effects the final product. The non diegetic sound track, ambient and dialogue are all sounds that need to be considered before using them. As we are making a film about gangs we will be inclined to use certain sounds that are conventions of the urban drama genre. In this blog I will be creating two sound effects that we could use in our trailer.

The first sound effect I will be creating is the sound of a flint lighter being lit. This sound was recorded on my voice recorder and close proximity to get a crisp sound which sounds very professional. I used a cricket lighter as the source of the sound as they have to loudest stick sound. This sound could be used when the camera can not pick up the sound of a lighter in a shot where someone is lighting something or smoking a cigarette.

The second sound effect I wanted to make was the sound of a bong. A bong is a tool used by people to burn substances such as cigarette Tabaco and also other explicit substances. I looked online for the sounds that these devices make and then look at how the water bubbles. As I do not own one of these contraptions I figured out a way to reconstruct the sound by myself. I used my mouth and water to do this. I held water in my mouth and arched my head to the floor, then holding the water still in my mouth I was able to create bubbling effect inside my moth which created this sound and also sounds like the real thing.


These two sound effects could be used very effectively in the right context in our urban drama trailer. As our trailer is focusing on the downfall of an individual as they fall into a gang life surrounded by drugs and crime these sound effects should be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment