Tuesday 7 February 2017

Editing Practical

During the part of our trailer that incorporates montage shots that each take one second in duration I also wanted to put in flashes of black. In the past I had done an experiment with editing of a pice of media that I had downloaded and it looked very effective. I timed the 0.05 second black flashes in time with the music. This meant that whenever there was a certain beat heard in the music the screen would go to a black screen and then back. because it was so fast it can be missed with the blink of an eye but if looked at gives the sight of a black screen. this is very typical of urban drama so works in our favour to use it.

When putting this into our editing I had to first incorporate the music. I chose a song where there are very audible sounds that can be picked up by the ear and in this case was the electric bass sound. Whenever this sound was heard I put in a black layer onto the screen. This meant that for that sort 0.05 seconds all that can be seen is a black screen. I did this by deleting an old shot and using the empty shell from the file as the black flash. I then changed the duration of the shot to 0.05 seconds. Once this was done I lined uo this black screen with the bass beat I had singled out and made sure that as the beat could be heard it would immediately go to the black screen until the sound ended.




I had to make sure that the timing was perfect. This is because if the black screen is put in off beat it will not look or sound good as they will not be in time with each other. this too some trial and error but as I went along doing this it got earlier for me to get it right. Once this was all done I played it through and the black flashes were in time worth the music. Tis made the trailer look very professional as the timing off the editing was not delayed or in junction with the sound in any way. I was very happy with how I turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment